With spring just around the corner, I’m feeling the push to get my fitness routine back to being a regular routine. While I’m in the groove of getting myself back on track, I figured I’d share some tips and tricks that keep me motivated/excited about my workouts, and afterwards I’ve got two new outfits to go with it (you didn’t think I’d leave the fun part out did you?!). I’m definitely no expert, and there are plenty of fitness gurus online that you can pull inspiration from, but I’ve been feeling good about the work I’ve been putting in and thought I’d share what works for me!
- Schedule your gym/workout time! I understand a busy schedule. In fact, mine has been a bit TOO busy lately what with moving apartments thrown into the mix. But now that that’s done, I’m back to figuring out when I can get to the gym. I end up scheduling my workouts just like I’d schedule a meeting, or an appointment. Whether it’s a chunk of time to go to the gym, or doing squats between chores when your schedule is just too tight, write it down! You have no excuse when you’ve already allotted time for it.
- Change up your routine. Since I’ve started going back to the gym, I’ve tried to make sure I’m not doing the same thing over and over. It keeps things interesting and keeps your body engaged. Doing the same thing day in and day out, your body will eventually plateau and you won’t see much growth, plus, it’s way more fun when you’ve got other options. I like to throw classes into the mix when I can fit them in because it generally gets me moving in ways I don’t do on my own, and at a different pace than I often workout.
- Find what makes you feel good. I feel most productive at the gym when I’m in a good mood. Often enough, all I need is a good playlist to get me grooving. Lately I’ve been jamming to Rag’N’Bone Man’s new album ‘Human.’I don’t think it’s typical workout music, but whatever works for you, roll with it!
Not gonna lie, I also feel great when I’ve got a great gym outfit on too, which I never really realized until recently. For awhile I was just wearing simple workout pants and a cut off tshirt (which, don’t get me wrong, I still wear!!), but sometimes a fresh outfit give me that extra push I need. When I look the part, it’s almost easier to act the part. And when acting the part consists of working out harder, my body is not complaining!
- Don’t compare yourself to others. I often look at others as inspiration (@tammyhembrow and @rahrahxoxo are some of my faves on Insta), but sometimes it’s easy to look at them and feel intimidated/defeated because I’m not where they are. Don’t get caught up in that trap! Everyone is at different stages in their fitness journey, and comparing yourself to someone else is like comparing apples and oranges. You may both be working out, but they probably have a completely different body type than you, and have probably been going at it longer/harder, and have a different diet/lifestyle/etc. The only way to gauge progress is to compare yourself against yourself. Listen to your body and watch as it responds/changes over time. I find that when I see even the slightest improvement, I’m even more excited to push myself a little bit more.
- Listen to your body. Everyone has days when they’re not feeling motivated, and sometimes those days your workout is short and sweet and you don’t do much. The point though, is that you still did something. I’ve learned that to stay motivated, I don’t work well if I’m really not feeling it. But I also have to balance that with pushing myself when I’m feeling a bit low energy. This often means doing that extra repetition when I think I’m done. Or adding that extra 5 pounds to my weights during my last set. The longer I work out the better I get at listening to what my body needs, and what it can do. I’ve been going at my own pace, but I’m learning how/when to push myself, especially when I feel like I can’t.
There it is! I’m no expert by ANY means. Just a girl figuring out how I can better myself and my body. Let me know what you think, and if you have any tips/tricks that help you out.
OH!! And my newest (and favourite) outfits! When LTS announced their collab with MPG Sport, I decided what better way to use my Long Tall Sally Christmas gift card I’d been saving. I bought myself the mesh paneled workout tights and fell in love. So when LTS asked if I’d be interested in trying out a few more pieces, I was obviously excited, and after wearing them all, I’m a fan.
Jogging Pants: Washed Sweatpants, Long Tall Sally
I’m wearing a Small. The length and fit are perfect (surprise surprise). They are incredibly comfortable and soft on the inside, and stylish if you’re wearing them out and about while running errands.
T-Shirt: MPGxLTS Eden Warm Down Top, Long Tall Sally
I love the light weight material, and the detailing on the back panel!
Tights: MPGxLTS Splicer Fabric Mixed Leggings, Long Tall Sally
I’m wearing an Extra Small. I LOVE THESE! They fit beautifully. The material is a nice thick fabric but still breathes while working out.
Sports Bra: MPGxLTS Accomplish Sports Bra, Long Tall Sally
I’m wearing a size Small. Overall, it fits and feels great! I don’t really notice it at all while I’m working out. Though it’s a touch difficult to do the hooks up on the back.
Jacket: Bomber Jacket, Long Tall Sally
I’m wearing a US8. This jacket is a new staple in my wardrobe. Basic black. Dressed up or down, it’s a stylish and simple addition to any outfit.
Shoes: Adidas Pureboost X trainers, Footlocker
I’ve only worn these sneakers a few times so far, but they feel like a cloud on my feet! I don’t know if it’s because my last trainers were far older than I’m willing to admit, but regardless, I’m loving these!